[linux-dvb] Re: osd for nova ?

Hi Klaus,

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> If the card doesn't have OSD capabilities, there's of course no point in
> having OSD functions in the driver for such a card. However, the DVB-S card
> I'm using does have OSD capabilities and A/V out - and I want to be able to
> use these.

Well, it's there and you can use it. But you can't expect much
portability and flexibility.

>>What do you think about an DirectFB user interface for VDR?
>
> That would mean I need an extra graphics card to display the OSD, right?
> Plus I would have to route the video through the graphics card and connect
> the tv to the graphics card. Why should I want to do that if my DVB card
> already has an A/V out plus OSD?

Because it's portable, you can use more colors, and you can run your
programs on any card? The DirectFB MPEG2 videoprovider can even do
software MPEG decoding when necessairy. And there is a DirectFB port for
the dbox2 too, so you can use a silent 'real' STB in your living room
and let the Harddisks mounted via network somewhere where the noise does
not matters.

> The OSD classes in VDR should be encapsulated enough to allow somebody who
> really wants to do this to implement an alternative OSD. However, you shouldn't
> drop OSD support for those DVB cards that actually have OSD capabilites.

We won't do this too soon, but the current AV7110 based PCI cards might
stay the only cards ever which implemented this OSD API.

Holger