[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T cards in the UK

In message <032501c2747d$84c85250$6300000a@moist>
          "Gavin Hamill" <gdh@acentral.co.uk> wrote:

> > How functional is VDR with a Dxr3?
>
> I've written many times over the last week about this topic =)

Oops!  I must have managed to miss it!  My brain's not working properly!

> I'm in the UK and my setup is Nova-t + dxr3.

Great.  At lease one other person has done it, then!  :-)

> At the moment, I'm using the development versions of VDR (1.1.12 right
> now) because they support proper plugins instead of having to patch the
> VDR source code..

Righto.

> The dxr3 plugin is at version 0.0.4 so that might give you an idea of how
> mature the code is - i.e. not very.

:-)

> The plugin actually works very well and smooth video and sound are routed
> through the Dxr3. Also the on-screen-display of VDR is mapped into the
> 4-colour palette of the Dxr3 (using DVD subtitles) so it doesn't look as
> pretty as a full-featured DVB card.

Oh right, I see.

> I have problems doing recordings, but I don't know if this is related to
> the dxr3 plugin since I see many requests for help on this matter from
> people who have full-featured DVB cards.

OK.  I was thinking of just using the setup to record at first, then later
on investigating using it for viewing *and* recording... and possibly adding
in another Nova-t card, so I can watch one programme and record another.

Can you watch an existing recording (via the Dxr3) whilst the Nova-t is
recording something else?  And can you watch live programmes OK?

> The authors of the dxr3 plugins have said this week that a new version
> should be released in approximately one month.

Superb!  Is there a mailing list or somesuch for that plugin?

> Since the dxr3 / Hollywood + is such a cheap card, and you can use MPlayer
> with it to play DivX / MPEG4 / AVI, etc. it's worth buying one anyway - and
> the plugin for VDR looks set to be a really nice piece of work when it's
> finished =)

That's what I'm thinking.  I don't have a Nova-t yet, nor do I have a big
enough hard disk (Linux box has 420 MB!), but I feel the need to prat around
with a Dxr3 and some MPEG-2 clips!  :-)

Cheers,
--
Richard.

"Rocky Raccoon checked into his room Only to find Gideon's bible."