[linux-dvb] Re: Summary (to Holger :-)

Dennis Noordsij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a summary of some of the discussion that went on over the weekend,
> things that I'm curious about :)
>
> * What is the difference in practice between zigzagging frequencies and having
> the frequecy_bend code?

dvb_bend_frequency() prevents that two frontends tune to exactly the
same frequency. I have a configuration here where interferences between
tuners cause both to lose the lock when the second one tunes to the
common frequency.

> If I disable the frequency bend, in the case of dual
> tuners tuning to the same transponder, doesn't the zigzag already introduce a
> bend? Don't these functions overlap? Disabling frequency bending improves the
> tuning speed for me (for HEAD).

zigzagging applies to all frequencies until a lock is detected.
Frequency bending just moves the desired frequency on step (stepsize of
the frequency divider) aside.

> * Since the zigzagging in the recovery thread is to compensate for LNB drift,
> is it really useful for DVB-C applications? (Not sure about DVB-T). I doubt
> the frequency drifts at all, and once you have figured out the *exact*
> frequency (maybe with the help of the dvbsak library and scanner utility)

Well, I wanted to remove it a while ago, but this caused many problems,
including the +/-125 and +/-250kHz offset problem of the VES1820. The
zigzag scan just makes the driver a bit more robust and hides incorrect
parameters. I'm not sure if this is a good thing.

> wouldn't that always just work? Wouldn't it be faster to be really persistant
> about locking to a certain frequency rather than hopping around looking for
> an alternative? (admittedly, in REL-0-9-2 this was not an issue at all).

When you only have one frontend attempting to tune to a particular
frequency and the frequency is correct, you should get an immediate
lock. Only in cases when a second frontend tries to tune to the same
frequency or the specified frequency is not correct bending and
zigzagging will get active.

> * Where is the timeout specified for deciding wether or not there is a lock
> and before trying a different frequency? I can see many (inserted) printk's
> "trying freq xxxxx Hz", "trying freq yyyyy Hz" log messages, many times
> without locking, and then suddently it will lock on freq xxxx which has
> already been tried a dozen times before without success.

where have you seen these printk's?

Holger