[linux-dvb] Re: Question regarding PES/Section filters..

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:34:29AM +1000, Mike Doyle wrote:

> The API documentation tells me that when returning data via a READ command,
> the driver attempts to return a full PES packet, or Section.

Nope. The API documentation only guarantees full sections per read,
not PES-packets.

> i) Is it possible to get the Driver/DVB card to *always* return a full
> PES/Section (IE Wait until full section/header has arrived, then return the
> data)?  Or at least  the header is always at the start of the data returned?

For section data the DVB driver always returns full sections, provided
your buffer is large enough. For PES packets there is no such
guarantee.

> ii) If not, what suggestions do you have regarding setting up my own code to
> return full PES/Section packets?

Search for the PES start prefix (0x000001 + stream id), then buffer partial
PES packet data returned from read() until you have a full PES packet.
Maybe this could be done in the driver, but it isn't now.

Regards,
Johannes