[linux-dvb] Re: Poll: backport of 2.5 internal API changes?

Hi,

On Thursday 24 October 2002 15:13, Jeremy Hall wrote:
> however it does look like it will effect us because if I read this
> correctly, we will need to upgrade to 2.5 in order to use the DVB
> drivers.  I'm not quite that desirous of a crash, filesystem corruption,
> or any of the other features I've discovered over the years hap-hazzardly
> running a kernel.

I have been running 2.5.44 for the last week on my vdr machine without any
such effects. I fact, 2.5 appears to be more responsive under high workloads
and some of the new features are definetly worth a look.
Feature freeze for 2.6 preparation is in about 6 days. So the kernel should
approach full production quality rather soon.
However, there are also problems, e.g. lirc and the AtmelWLan driver do not
compile under the latest kernels. But those problems will not be fixed by the
time 2.6 arrives when people do not start testing now.

I only can everybody encourage to try 2.5.

Andreas
[...]