[linux-dvb] Re: [POLL] kdvb-fe, tune at initialisation, powermanagement

Mike Grant wrote:

> One quick question though - will this change mean that the kdvb-fe
> zigzag scan will only run if the card is tuned, or that it will run if
> the frontend device is opened, even if no tuning is attempted?

Yes, the thread will run in this case too, because it has to check the
frontend status and to generate the frontend events when the device is
open. Don't open the frontend device if you don't need it.

(don't tell me that frontend events are evil and cause troubles
everywhere - I know this. Unfortunally our middleware developers tried
to kill me when I told them that I want to remove them;)

> I think, although I've not checked properly, that VDR opens the frontend
> device, even if the card is only for TV output.  With the suggested
> patch, I presume that an open frontend device will be required for TV
> output anyway.

Not if the Demux/MPEG decoder is feeded from another card.

> Ideally, it'd be nice if the zigzag scan only runs if a tuning is
> attempted.  That may be for a later patch though :)

Like mentioned above, kdvb-fe does more than zigzagging. Frontend status
checks need to be done anyway.

Holger