[linux-dvb] Re: Tuning problems with 2.5.47 driver

> Hi, I'm using a WinTV Nova DVB-T card in the UK.
>
> I've used the older 0.9.4 drivers, and the newer drivers from
> the 2.5.47 kernel. I am having the same problem reported
> earlier by others... Namely that the 2.5.47 drivers do not
> tune in as well as the 0.9.4 ones.
>
> Observing the output of dvbtune with 2.5.47, I see the driver
> attempts to tune for a short time, but then returns
> FE_TIMEDOUT to the application.. Which then gives up....
> However if you try it repeatedly, it eventually works fine..
> I'm using exactly the same parameters for tuning with both,
> so I suspect this has to be a driver problem.
>
> With the 0.9.4 drivers, tuning is pretty much instantaneous.
>
> I am wondering if anyone else is looking into this behaviour?
> If not, I shall try and fix it...

I think I've found the reason.. As there weren't any real changes in
dvb_frontend.c or the other tuning code between 0.9.4 and 2.5.47, it had
to be something else. I think it's the change to 1000HZ in kernel 2.5
that is causing this. I've just tested it with a 2.5.47 kernel
recompiled with HZ set to 100, and tuning is now fine again....
(Although this obviously isn't _quite_ a good enough fix :)