[linux-dvb] Re: DVB driver for B2C2 based budget cards (such as Technisat SkyStar 2)

Hi Miernik and all,

At 15:35 31/01/2003 +0100, Miernik wrote:

>No, Skymedia is a totally different chipset.
>
>I have a Skymedia 200D and it has two big chips:
>
>160-pin square SMD:
>AV
>AURAVISION
>VXP195 CPQ
>TAN8698.1AT9902

The VXP195 seems to be a PCI bridge (as the PLX PCI9054, or the SAA7146);
the corporate site <http://www.auravision.com> is not accesible. The
relative location of this IC (close to the PCI bus, or the tunner, or
near the CI connector [if there is one], etc) could add some light about
its use. IOW, some good pictures are need :-).

>208-pin square SMD:
>ST20TP4CX50S
>EC1-J852FFA
>A22BV9918
>MALTA
>ST

The ST20TP2 is a ST Microsystems microprocessor, which have a TS
demultiplexer and CSA descrambler, commonly used on (old) Set Top Boxes;
currently, the STi55xx family is used, as it integrates also the MPEG2
Video and Audio decoders and the (analog) Video encoder. I don't know of
any public datasheet for the ST20TP4 :-( ; but very close to it and until
not long ago, _was_ possible to find find the datasheet for the ST20TP2
and the info for the CPU core, on the ST web site :-( :

	PROGRAMMABLE TRANSPORT IC FOR DVB APPLICATIONS
	http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/4556.pdf
	ST20 C1 INSTRUCTION SET MANUAL
	http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/5221.pdf

Of course, if anyone have a usefull datasheet for the ST20TP4, I'am
interested on a copy :-).

AFAIK, the ST20TP4 add a DCU (Diagnostic Controller Unit), which enable
the full debugging of the system by the JTAG port; the ST20TP2 also have
a  JTAG port, but it's near useless, as the Boundary Scan function don't
work and the DCU is missing.

The little info that I know about the DCU can be found on a few pages of
the ST20TP6 datasheet.

Other "source of info" for the DCU are the JTAG programs (from Tomas Vlad
and others), used for STB "hacking" :-), which are availables on the net.

>P.S. The card is broken "from the radio side", I mean the divers load
>     with it OK, but all the time I see "no signal lock". So I can do
>     some "irreversably intrusive hardware reverse-engineering" on
>     this card if someone has any idea.

The "intervention" don't need to be "irreversible" :-). I'm not have saw
any picture of this card, but surelly it have the pads for a JTAG port,
as also have the TT_DVB cards for the AV7111x ARM7 core, with the
difference that the JTAG on the ST_DCU is much more "documented" with
useful programs and trivial JTAG interfaces.

Best regards:
--
Roberto Deza Asensio
Universidad de Navarra