[linux-dvb] Re: patch for dvb_net.c (x Marcus)

L.Y.Mesentsev wrote:

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> The dvb_net daemon would have to run because the frontend file descriptor needs to be open as long you rely on a stream
> out of the frontend and want to prevent other applications to tune away from your transponder.

Well, I do not agree with you, Holger. IMHO, let's give to the final user a chance to decide application policies. For example, for my project I need a DVB IRD application cooperating with DVB-IP SFTP-based application. Obviosly, there are several data pids it is listening on, - when we tuned on certain transponders while zapping the whole satellite without limits. And it works fine - I can see "Salute Benessere" or "Video Italia" channel on Telespazio's transponder (Eutelsat 13E) while downloading files from service DVB-IP pids, and after that I'm free to continue with zapping etc.
sure, you can always set arbitrary filters on the transponders you tuned to. But when you tune to another frequency the transport stream to your transponder will disappear and another one (w/o the data you expect...) will feed the demux. So any application which expects data out of the frontend is responsible to keep the frontend file descriptor openend as long it is relying on the transport stream from this particular transponder.

Otherwise the power management is allowed to shut down the LNB power and other applications are allowed to tune to any other frequency.

Holger