[linux-dvb] v4l and dvb-s

Nagayoshi Hayashi writes:
 > hi :
 >
 > i have a hauppauge wintv nexus-s dvb-s card.  i used
 > that for satellite signal capturing.  i also use the hardware
 > mpeg-2 decoder for the dvd playback.  i recently found that
 > i can do the overlay of the decoded dvd movie on my monitor
 > using xawtv.  however it's not for the frame grabbing.  is it
 > possible for grabbing frames using xawtv or v4l to capture
 > the frames ?  if it is, what should i do ?
 > thank you very much.

You shoudl be able to use grabber programs like xawtv or even software
encoders like ffmpeg and others that use v4l. I guess with the drivers
for the 2.5.x kernels you can also use v4l2 which may help to get
better results if you want to grab movies. You can also use mencoder,
I had some success with the following options:
mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=480:height=576:adevice=/dev/dsp:forcechan=2:outfmt=yuy2
-ovc xvid  -vop pp=lb  -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:mode=0:br=128  -o output.avi

Be sure to have mplayer compiled with all the necessary libs and you
need a fairly fast CPU.

Marcus

| mocm@metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |