[linux-dvb] Re: AW: Re: API changes (was: C/A routing Question)

Florian Schirmer wrote:
B) Writing PS/AVPES

IMHO you simply can't and shouldn't do that. Writing anything else except TS
to the demux doesn't make any sense to me. What do you expect the demux to
do with PES? The only job of the demux is to route / demultiplex / convert
TS into someting else (different queues, PES, sections, ...)

If you write non-TS data the only reason could be playback. So it is a lot
more straight forward to write that data directly to the decoder. And that
is excatly what /dev/dvb/adapter0/{audio0,video0} are for. Lets keep the
demux TS only.
What about DVD Program Streams? When your hardware can handle these streams directly you probably don't want to demultiplex the stream in userspace...

- we need PS (and maybe AVPES) playback; details are not clear yet,
but I think this means adding the capability to filter on the
PS stream id, and adding a corresponding field to struct dmx_caps

See above.
dto.

In a system with more than one MPEG decoder DMX_OUT_DECODER is not enough. It will be necessary to specify which decoder. I think that the video and audio decoder API should have *_SET_SOURCE ioctls that connect them to the appropriate demux.
Right now the decoders are distinguished by the pes_type field. Not very intuitive, but works.

But you're right, *_SET_SOURCE ioctls in the decoder API would be cleaner.

Holger