[linux-dvb] Re: API changes (was: C/A routing Question)

Ralph Metzler wrote:
Hi,

Florian Schirmer writes:
> >Yes, this should be the responsibility of the demux. > >Just add capability ioctls there. The frontend could be rather dumb. > >Syncing to TS boundaries, etc. can also be handled by the demux. It > >will have to do that anyway for budget cards which deliver unaligned > >data (e.g. Bt878/fusion cards). Demux hardware usually does it by itself.
> > In the latest Fusion code i've pushed all the sync handling down to the
> (soft) demux. It needs some tweaks here and there but it basically works.
> pids[])?

Would a PID bitmap as parameter also make sense if many PIDs are used?
On the other hand, the PID number usually probably will not be that high and one can use 0x2000 for the whole TS again.
Sounds good and makes sense to me. Beside this it's pretty trivial to implement, we wanted to add a PID lookup bitmap anyway...

> >Yes. This should make recording all PIDs of one service very easy. A
> software > >filter implementation should also be simple. Now this kind of filter even
> seems > >to fit perfectly to some hardware > >as Rob McConnell described in his mail. > > IMHO the dvr is comletely useless. Instead of adding more and more features
> to it we should remove it. At the same time we have to change the demux API
> to allow more than one pid filter per fd. If it is possible to route more
> than one pid into the same buffer you will basically get the functions the
> dvr device provides. If we do it carefully we're able to extend the API
> without loosing compatibility.
Yes, let's throw the dvr device out.
ok. We still need a precise API proposal.

> I dont know alot about hw that provides dvr units. But the hw/driver should
> be able to deal with that internally without forcing the user to know about
> wether it has dvr support or not. If there is any reason why the hw or sw
> requires a dvr device please elaborate why. Thx!

As long as the dvr units are connected to one of the other demux
channels (same input) this should be fine.

One should also consider if the driver should be able to tell the
application what it can do in hardware and with direct DMA and what
has to be emulated and copied in software. Especially on hardware with low power CPUs (low MHz ARM/MIPS) this
could make big differences.
yes, and especially this hardware has usually a very flexible and powerful DMA controller, we should use it as much as possible...

Holger