[linux-dvb] Re: SV: SV: Re: Compilation under RedHat 8.0

Jean-Michel POURE:

> This is the first time I encouter an installation script without a
> configure first. Is this usual with kernel modules? I am pretty new, maybe
> I miss something.

People don't usually compile modules without the corresponding kernel
source,
drivers are supposed to come with the kernel, so there's little incentive
to do polished compilation scripts (once a driver is polished, it's in
the kernel!) it is a pain but all drivers I've compiled have been like
that in some way, actually the DVB drivers seems quite good compared to
others. Still, you can usually compile with just headers though after a
bit of poking around.

As for configure, this usually comes from the "autoconf" package
whose aim is to detect platform, compiler differences which is useless
for kernel modules: platform, you know it's Linux, no need to find which
compiler you are using, only gcc compiles the kernel, no need to find
which libxxx you're using, the kernel of course the kernel does not
depend on shared libraries. So I guess there's little you could do with
autoconf for modules.

--
franck@nenie.org