[linux-dvb] Re: Linux HDTV

In the mean time, I would like to do a little homework before hand,
so I would definately appreciate any help you can provide for
chipset driver parts, code, contacts more familiar with the chips,
and perhaps better suited mailing lists more on topic.
I've got some learning to do. :)
OK, well there's likely just 4 hardware parts to get the stream over the bus:

(1) Tuner -- It seems likely that the FusionHDTV II will have a Philips 1236D tuner. This is an analog/digital tuner. The only difference between digital and analog operation is throwing a one bit switch. Indeed, most Philips tuners use very similar/identical code, so you need not know precisely which tuner they are going to use. I have the datasheet at home. Open source code is widely available.

(2) Demodulator -- They mention that they will use an Oren demodulator. There is a datasheet available for a demodulator that is a couple of generations old. This should help you at least start to grok what is going on. Save this one to disk!

http://www.oren.com/pdf/OR51210DataSheet.pdf

(3) ROM/RAM -- Depending on the configuration of the card, the Oren chip may require loading of microcode either through a ROM or from RAM.

(4) PCI Bridge -- Apparently, they are using the Conexant Fusion 878A. It would be nice to get an update on where Peter Hettkamp's code stands. The datasheet is widely available, but most of the stuff covered is analog.

http://www.conexant.com/servlets/DownloadServlet/100600B.pdf?FileId=443

This is a good start.

Regards--

Dan