[linux-dvb] Re: OSD-fixed firmware

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Well, VDR sends the video frames and the OSD data to the driver. It expects
> that data to be processed - what else can it expect? It would appear that
> when the (Ralph's) driver/firmware receives only I-frames, it no longer processes any
> of the OSD data. So at some point VDR just sits and waits until the OSD
> data gets processed, before it can send the next block of OSD data.
>
> So, the problem IMHO is most likely in the firmware.

I further tested this http://www.metzlerbros.org/dvb/ DVB-1.1.6b driver.
Now my Technotrend DVB-C works with unmodified vdr-1.1.25:

- simultaneous playback and recording works
- recording multiple PID's with PID_OTHER filters works

What does not work, but freezes vdr and triggers the watchdog:

- pause
- rewind
- fast forward with highest speed (I-frames only I guess)
- live viewing a channel while recording (transfer mode)

So I believe something puts the driver or firmware into non-responsive
mode.  It is not only OSD activity that hangs, as most of the above
functions do not use OSD.. unless vdr somehow still calls osd.

This new version of the firmware is the holy grail I have been waiting
for.  Huge improvement, time shifting is possible and multi-channel
recording with one card finally works - huge thing.  Only small obstacles
in the path to glory any more, I hope.

I'll be trying to find the exact calls where vdr hangs this weekend, in
hope that it helps the driver developers to catch the bugs.  Or maybe I
find a workaround.. not likely.

Jaakko

--
Foreca Ltd                                           Jaakko.Hyvatti@foreca.com