[linux-dvb] Re: Linux HDTV

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Terry Hardie writes:
>  > On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Brian Foddy wrote:
>  >
>  > > I know this isn't exactly on the list topic, but your list is the closest I
>  > > can find.
>  > >
>  > > Does anyone know of any projects, card makers, reverse engineering,
>  > > etc to get an HDTV tuner card working in Linux?  I've done a lot of
>  > > searching and can't find anything.
>  > >
>  > > I see 3 popular card makers (Hipix, Access DTV, Hauppauge) seem
>  > > to make HDTV tuner cards, but no Linux drivers.  I can't even
>  > > find anyone talking about the subject.  I know this is a relatively
>  > > new subject, but I'd link I could find some discussions on it.
>  > >
>  > > Long-term, I want to get HDTV timeshifting.
>  >
>  > Has anyone here looked at the twinhan boards? (www.twinhan.com). They're
>  > only around $100, and basically do DVB demodulation. Video playback would
>  > be in software. I've heard rumors that with this board is possible to do
>  > 4:2:2 video and HDTV. They have a full linux SDK right on their website...
>
> I don't think they have cards with ATSC tuners/demodulators (yet?).
>
> For cheap DVB software decoding rather use another card (KNC, Lifeview,
> Hauppauge/Technotrend Nova, etc.). Some of them at least support Linux
> development by supplying information about their products.
> They also do not just "borrow" code from bttv to use it in a
> proprietary closed source Linux SDK.

You're right about the ATSC part, but there are quite a lot of HDTV stuff
in DVB, at least here in the USA. All the networks are up in HD DVB as
well as some neat networks like HDNet.

---
Terry Hardie					terry@net.com
SHOUTip Engineering Product Manager		ICQ#: 977679
net.com, 6530 Paseo Padre Parkway
Mailstop #2207, Fremont, CA 94555, USA		V: +1-510-574-2366