From: Gregor Lawatscheck [mailto:gpel@mpex.net]
Sent: 03 March 2003 11:08
To: linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: WinTV Nova-T PCI, debian novice

At 09:43 03/03/2003, you wrote:
>I tried tuning to the BBC channels:
>         robert@Watkins:~$ dvbtune -c 0 -f 578000000  -i
>         tuning DVB-T to 578000000
>         Getting frontend event
>         Received completion event
>         Event:  Frequency: 578000000
>         Bit error rate: 57
>         Signal strength: 0
>         SNR: 0
>         FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_POWER FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER
>FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
>         <transponder type="T" freq="578000000">
>         Nothing to read from fd_pat
>         Nothing to read from fd_sdt
>         </transponder>
>and here I give up.
>Can I fix what I've got?
>Is there a better set of packages to use with a nova-t in the uk?
>         (I have an irrational fear of the debian kernel sources.)

Hi Robert,
dvbtune 0.42 which works with the 0.9.4 driver doesn't support setting the
Modulation (QAM) or FEC on the command line. All but the ITV (oxf: 850000)
and C5 (oxf: 713833) Transmitter went to FEC 3_4 and QAM 16 sometime late
in 2002.

If you intend to stream / pipe to watch TV with Mplayer dvbstream is
probably the best tool available. Try using cvs dvbtune / dvbstream (
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=50669) where you can specify these
settings on the command line with DVB driver 1.0.0-pre1 (
http://www.linuxtv.org/news/js/dvbrelease1.xml ).

Other than that, something that appears to become popular with UK DVB-T
folk these days is to ebay a cheap DXR3 MPEG2 decoder card with TV-out for
10 quid and use it with vdr ( http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr ) to
watch telly. For more about this see the vdr mailinglist archives at
http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/vdr/

Hope that helps,
Gregor

linux-dvb" as subject.

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.