[linux-dvb] Re: C/A routing Question

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 07:31:30PM +0100, I wrote:
> Ralph Metzler wrote:
> >
> > - Move the memory frontends to separate devices.
> >   Either also call them frontend with type memory frontend
> >   or call them memfrontend, mfrontend, dvrin, ... whatever
> >   They should offer mmap, write, etc. maybe even a software controlled
> >   rate control (some chips have it in hardware) to allow for decent
> >   non-blocking writing.
> >   Each demuxN can select which frontend (no matter if real or memory)
> >   to use as input.
>
> I seen that you've already defined FE_MEMORY and FE_NET in your
> version of the API header files.
>
> I for one would be happy with a /dev/.../frontend of type FE_MEMORY.
> How do we handle capabilites, i.e. if we can feed TS, PS and/or AVPES
> into the frontend? Is this handled by the demux that we connect to
> the frontend?

I've thought about this, and now I think that it's no a good idea,
because none of the ioctls for "normal" frontend devices apply
to "memory frontends", ecept FE_GET_INFO.

I think it would be better to have a dedicated "input" device for the
demux, which would then support write() and possbly mmap().

Regards,
Johannes