[linux-dvb] V4 API proposal

Florian Schirmer writes:
 > 2. /dev/dvb/adapterX/demuxX:
 >
 > A) Instead of writing TS data to the dvrX device you are now allowed to
 > write TS data to the demuxX device.
 > B) Before writing TS to it you'll have to call an ioctl to put the demux
 > device into memory mode. (DMX_SET_SOURCE)
 > C) The hardware demux has to export a logical demuxX device for _each_ hw
 > input channel it supports (e.g. if the hw supports 2 frontend and 1 memory
 > based input it will export demux0,demux1,demux2). It is up to the user to
 > map these logical devices to hw inputs (via DMX_SET_SOURCE)

This is a little bit confusing.
You say if the demux has 2 frontend and 1 memory input it has
demux0, demux1 and demux2 but you then you say they are logical
devices and have to be mapped to hardware?
Couldn't there be 2 frontends and 1 memory input but only 1 or 2
demux devices?

What if 2 demuxes use the same source? Which one gets to write?

 > D) We'll provide an ioctl to query the demux in which mode it currently
 > operates / which modes are supported (DMX_GET_SOURCE,DMX_GET_SOURCES)
 >
 > 3. Memory based dummy fe (FE_MEM)
 >
 > Only real (hardware) fe's will be supported. There is no need for a dummy
 > fe. (demuxX will do)

What about other (non-frontend) inputs which are not written via memory?
This can be parallel/serial inputs which do not come from a tuner like
DVB-ASI, directly connected firewire interfaces, LVDS, etc.
How do you e.g. select the input rate of a memory input?
On some hardware this can be controlled.

Ralph