[linux-dvb] Re: V4 API proposal

Johannes Stezenbach:

> What I meant to say is that we would probably want to have
> support for copying data within the kernel/driver, without
> having to copy data to userspace from one driver and back into
> the kernel to the other driver. E.g. VDR currently does a lot
> of copying in "transfer mode", and it works fine, but it's not
> particularly efficient.

I know little of Linux internals but cannot that be done
at ~ zero cost in user space? For instance I'd think you
could implement a read() as a simple MMU remapping rather
than a real copy and same for write(), maybe with a bit of
care about page alignment. How does the "zero copy
networking" stuff works?

--
franck@nenie.org