[linux-dvb] Re: Sarge installation failure

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying like hell to install DVB under GNU/Linux. In a first attempt, I
> tried a redhat 8.0 installation. I tried this without success :
>
> #copy the RH System.map from /boot/System.map-2.4.xx to
> #/usr/src/linux/System.map
> #go to /usr/src/linux, "make clean" and "make mrproper"
> #"make menuconfig" and load the current config from /boot (must be
> #config-2.4.xx or so)
> #save settings an go out of menuconfig
> #"make dep"
> #try to build the driver

This is how I just successfully compiled and loaded the modules on a
RH7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-27 (which is the same as the latest for RH8.0):

cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.4 linux
cd linux
make distclean
# edit the Makefile: erase the 'custom' from $EXTRAVERSION
cp /boot/config-2.4.18-27.8.0 .config
make oldconfig
make dep

Now build and load your DVB driver.

> Is there a RedHat 8.0 RPM package targeted at 'normal' avarage users like
> myself.

Not that I'm aware of.

> I am dying for help. This is now 2 months since I bought my DVB card. Still
> not working under GNU/Linux. I am not prepared to install a new kernel,
> because it will not be compatible with the boot sequence of RedHat 8.0.

That's not completely true. A self-compiled kernel is in most cases the
easiest way to get external kernel patches/ modules to work. And
regarding the "boot sequence": sometimes you have to disable one or two
init scripts that depend on special kernel patches that RedHat included.
That' all.

Cheers,
Juri