[linux-dvb] Re: [vdr] EPG scan cause high load and AC3 drop outs - maybe not solved yet ?

Hallo,

Positive News :) see below

> >CPU Time again (Pentium3 933).

this is still the same, but ...

> >> Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> >>
> >> IMHO the ml linux-dvb@linuxtv.org should notice that (therefore a cross
> >> posting is needed IMHO:). For readers of linux-dvb@linuxtv.org: the
> >> drop outs are happen during live view of Pro7 which means that the TS
> >> stream has longer timeouts beginning with some bit failures which are
> >> found by a CRC check of a VDR plugin forwarding the AC3 data stream
> >> to the S/P-DIF of a sound card.

I noticed a post on the linux-dvb that the firmware was changed on the
31.03.03 and on Wedensday i tried the CVS from 02.04.03.

This Driver is MUCH BETTER !!! I don't know what you have changed - but it
is sure in the right direction :) It has probably happend between 26.03.03
and 02.04.03 as the driver from 26.03 still had problems.

I havo only tested this 2 evenings (with DD/AC3) about 1 hour each so I am
not 100% sure that what I have noticed is right on a long term basis - just
wanted to tell that on my sight it is going the right direction and give
some others a chance to test it = more input.

With previous DVB drivers I had AC3/DD dropouts quite offen. The best way to
produce taht was to delete a recording and after some time VDR really
removed it from the disc and that caused the sound to drop. This is GONE -
no problem anymore :)

I can now watch Pro7 and had only very few dropouts (2-3) Mostly while using
the OSD !
I still saw 2 "CRC error - frame repeated" messages from Bitstreamout in the
syslog - but I didn't hear anything wrong yesterday evening while that
happend. But as I said - not long enought tested - max. listening without
switching channel was 30 min.

What I have noticed though is that when switching channel there sometimes
are grafical errors ("klotchengrafik") in the picture for a second. But that
is much better than dropping audio ;)

So on my part this is defently going in the right direction.

Thanks a lot to the developer of the DVB drivers :))

All testes done with :
Suse 8.0 with standard kernel
ALSA 0.9.2
1 DVB-s