[linux-dvb] Re: Audio sync

Klaus Schmidinger writes:
 > Ralph Metzler wrote:
 > >
 > > Klaus Schmidinger writes:
 > >  > Are you saying VDR should set VPID, APID _and_ PCR-PID when recording?
 > >
 > > Yes.
 >
 > How does this correspond with your posting from 14:09:
 >
 >    During live viewing the ARM uses the PCR to set its own system clock
 >    (STC). The PTSs (DTSs are dropped AFAIK) of the streams are then used
 >    for synchronization.
 >    During playback only the PTSs are used. The STC is set according to
 >    the first PTS. It also is reset if there are large PTS gaps.
 >
 > This made me believe that the PCR-PID only needs to be set for _live_ tv viewing,
 > but not for _recording_.

OK, if you record separately (not the stuff you are viewing or via
time-shifting), you don't necessarily need to record it.
But again, newer hardware which pipes TS playback through its hardware
demuxer might need a PCR to work.
Depending on how this hardware is driven (open/closed driver or
microcode/firmware) you might not be able to work around this and will have
to fix your files ...

Ralph