[linux-dvb] Re: Problem: FE_GET_FRONTEND frequency in alps_bsrv2.c

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:23:43PM +0200, Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Oops, yes, somebody changed the frequency units used in the driver for DVB-S
> from Hz to kHz.
>
> Regarding the +/-, which frequency is returned using "-=" now?
> The one which was tuned to or the one you have to tune to to get a
> zero afc register?

The one you have to tune to for a zero afc register.

Well, not really:

You can use it for another FE_SET_FRONTEND to get a better estimate
of the actually tuned-to frequency. You might have to repeat this:
after another FE_GET_FRONTEND/FE_SET_FRONTEND you usually get the
'real' frequency. The first estimated frequency isn't perfect.

This isn't working on boundaries (the values I left blank in my table):
for some values, the FE_SET_FRONTEND works after a while (upto 9 seconds),
but the:
  afc = ((int)((char)(ves1893_readreg (i2c, 0x0a) << 1)))/2;
is garbage: the sign is correct, but the absolute value is wrong(too low).

Wolfgang