[linux-dvb] Re: dec2000-t success

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 02:52:22PM +0100, Alex Woods wrote:
> Some of the videostream rates I've had reported from the dec, here in the UK,
> have been:
>
> 4MBit/s, 5.3Mbit/s, 6Mbit/s, 10Mbit/s and 15Mbit/s
>
> These are from QAM16 and QAM64.  I've seen 15Mbit/s on both of these.  How it
> fits these down USB 1.1, I have no idea.  I'm neither a USB expert or a DVB
> expert.

Yep, BBC ONE is marked at 15Mbit/sec, and all the BBC transmissions are
marked with a static bitrate... whilst the ITV ones show the real
bitrate - i.e. the marked bitrate will change every time you restart an
mplayer session on a live stream.

I don't believe BBC ONE is actually going anywhere near 15Mbit/sec - the
AV7110 ARM seems to have an upper bitrate limit of 9Mbit/sec (happened
to see someone mentioned that on vdr or linux-dvb list recently..), and
this chip is present in many DVB-T STB's...

It might be worth a quick program to measure actually how many bits/sec
are received sampled once per second, and to let that program run for a
few hours, especially during high-movement sports coverage, so we can
get a feel for how high the bitrate actually does go..

Cheers,
Gavin.