[linux-dvb] Re: dec2000-t success

    From holger@convergence.de Mon Apr 28 20:23:34 2003
    > Interesting.  Perhaps the Hauppauge web page specification is in error
    > and it really is a USB 2.x port.  (I am not a USB expert either.)

    This box contains the TUSB3200 transceiver from TI, this is a USB 1.1 chip.

Thanks!

    From holger@convergence.de Mon Apr 28 20:25:28 2003
    To: Bruce Janson <bruce@staff.cs.usyd.edu.au>
    CC:  linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
    Bruce Janson wrote:
    >     From linux-dvb-bounce@linuxtv.org Mon Apr 28 12:46:46 2003
    >     Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:43:13 +1000
    >     From: Douglas Kosovic <douglask@dstc.edu.au>
    >     Edward Wildgoose wrote:
    >
    >     >>the DEC 2000-t's USB 1.1 interface will impose a 12 Mbits/s limit on
    >     >>its USB->PC interface.  I do not know the maximum (compressed)
    >     >>throughput that can be required by a 7 MHz, DVB-T transport stream
    >     >>(23 Mbits/s?), but I suspect that it does exceed 12 Mbits/s.
    >     >>If true, this would impose an unfortunate limitation on the DEC 2000-t.
    >     >>(USB 2.x at 480 Mbits/s would have avoided this...)
    >     >I am under the impression that because Australia is using QAM64 (which I
    >     >think means more channels per transport stream) you should find that the
    >     >channels have a lower max transmission than 23Mbits/s.  In the UK I think
    >     >the QAM64 channels are 6Mbit/s.
    >     I don't know about the calculations based on QAM64, but the Australian
    >     HDTV 1080i broadcasts are approx 4 times the resolution of SDTV 576i,
    >     so I would expect something like 4 times the bandwidth would be required.
    >      From memory, I think it's 19 Mbit/s, but I could be wrong.
    >
    >     I wonder if the Australian DVB-T 720P HDTV broadcasts exceed the 12 Mbits/s
    >     USB 1.1 limit? I would imagine the bandwidth for 576p broadcasts wouldn't
    >     be a problem, but it would be interesting to see if the built in decoder
    >     can handle 576p.
    >
    >     At least the Australian SDTV 576i channels which are 6 Mbit/s, should work.
    >
    > Thanks.  Good points, but those of us who would like to grab a
    > whole transport stream (and then unpack it later if required)
    > are going to be disappointed by the Hauppauge DEC 2000-t.

    For these purposes you need a higher-bandwidth bus solution, e.g. a PCI
    card or a USB2.0 device. Does anybody of you knows if there is a
    Firewire DVB solution available (or announced?) somewhere?

I do not.

Is the Convergence device USB 2.0?
(If not, is it too late to make it so? :-))