[linux-dvb] Re: Evil transmitters: a gotcha with the scan program (but not it's fault)

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 05:37:42PM +0100, Simeon Walker wrote:
> Sounds familiar!
>
> When I tried using scan something about the Wenvoe transmitter passed
> by followed by a whole string of failed tuning attempts.

Heh, I think I have the best/worst example...

I'm in the North West and am fed by Winter Hill... and had been getting
good signal locks on everything but the two Crown Castle muxes, which
would usually only just show a signal, but no usable data...

So I fiddled for ages with new cabling, re-aligning the aerial, etc...
until finally I had another look at:

http://www.itc.org.uk/uk_television_sector/reception_advice/digital_trans_guide/index.asp?region=8

See 'Winter Hill B' ? Yes, that's right, the same physical transmitter
is sending those same two muxes, at the same power, on two totally
different sets of frequencies.

I set 'dvbtune' to the new frequencies, and got the lowest VError rate
yet - absolutely perfect pictures. I nearly cried.

This will be 'really great' for plugins like the autoscanner, which will
eventually lock onto one signal, and pull out the frequencies of all the
others, because the 'others' will pointing to the main 'Winter Hill' and
not the 'B' variety.

Bah.

Finally, I wish Channel 5 analogue would close down, and give us another
digital mux instead :)

Ideally, I wish ITV1 analogue would just close down, end of story ;)

gdh