[linux-dvb] Re: WinTV DVB-s MAC addr on EEPROM

Michael Glaum wrote:
Question for the Hauppauge WinTV DVB-S gurus.

At least with version linuxtv-dvb-1.0.0-pre2 when I add a
network interface via dvbnet the MAC address is not populated.
net_start.pl makes a call to set the hw ether addr, versus
reading it off the card.

That being said, I notice that the card has an ATMEL AT24C16N
serial EEPROM. I guess it would be a huge coincidence if this
EEPROM has hanging off the I2C bus and that I could grab the
MAC address via stv0299_readreg(),
you must not read from i2c adress 0x68 (like stv0299_readreg does) but from adress 0x50 where the EEPROM is located. See e.g. the ves1820 driver for details.

an existing routine for the
frontend chip on this board. If so, maybe someone would even
know the address location of the MAC? I haven't been able to
get through to Hauppauge on this EEPROM.
The MAC is not stored plain binary. If you find out how to calculate the real MAC please let us know or send a patch so that we can add this to the driver.

Right now you're able add network interfaces for any number of MAC adresses, I'm sure that's still an interesting feature for many people.

Holger