[linux-dvb] Re: Determining transport stream bitrate.

Franck Arnaud wrote:

Jens Thomsen:

This sohuld work:

bits of PID/(total bits in stream/stream bitrate)

because (correct me if I'm wrong):

(total bits in stream/stream bitrate) = number of seconds in TS thus far

but how do you know the stream bitrate? is it constant? I guess not, eg when a part time channel stops, the actual bitrate (post FEC) is going to go down.

Why don't you record the time when you started recording and compare it with the time when the recording finished, which you can get with the stat command (last modif time).

Actually in my case the total bitrate is constant. I am using streams from US terrestrial broadcasts. These streams are subject to the regulation of the FCC and ATSC which mandate that a broadcaster can utilize no more than 19.392658 Mb/s. The otherr reason that I can't use time stamps is because I am trying to give the bitrate of the PID at the very moment that I see the packet.

Jens