[linux-dvb] Re: Ideas Wanted: Grundig STB Works, Nova-T Doesn't

From: "Robert Schlabbach":

> From: "Michael Hunold":

>> As it has been pointed out in other answers, the PCI burst length of the
>> saa7146 can be tweaked for every dma channel.
>>
>> This is explained on page 31 of the data sheet, registers 0x48 and 0x4c.

> FWIW, I found that my DVB-Cable budget card works best on my i440BX
> motherboard with:
>
> - DMA3 PCI burst length = 32 DWORDs
> - DMA3 FIFO threshold = 32 DWORDs

I tried the PCI settings you suggested with the dvb-kernel driver and it did
noticeably improve the picture. There are still some remaining artefacts though.

But I then tried the card in my Athlon machine and it works correctly. I wish
I'd done that earlier now. My excuse is that I really didn't want to upset my
working MythTV system.

So I guess the PCI related theories look good and it's something to do with the
motherboard / chipset. It would be nice to get the older machine working but
it's not essential for testing / working on the Myth DVB code now I know it's
going to be usable!

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions,

Martin