[linux-dvb] Re: problems with dvb-kernel

On Wednesday, 9. July 2003 14:21, Michael Hunold wrote:
> 1) You use VIDEO_PALETTE_YUV422 for capturing. Due to a hardware bug
> this byteorder is not supported by the saa7146 in hardware. In the old
> av7110 driver, the frames are captured in VIDEO_PALETTE_UYVY, then the

I thought this would only apply to the UYVY-mode? So it's wrong for both
16bit modes which are available for Xv only? I guess then this kind of
support (software-swapping) has to be reimplemented, otherwise one can just
throw away the dvb-s card, for me thats 2 :(((

> bytes are swapped in software. Ieeek! The new Video4Linux-2 driver has
> "support" for this byteorder removed. This leads to "capture format not
> supported" error messages on the syslog. If you change this in the kvdr
> code, capturing will work, but the picture will be greenish/purple, due
> to the swapped U and V components.

so it's of no use at all! If it would have been a car, one would get a
replacement for free.

> 2) With V4L-1, capturing was set frame size and format, SYNC frame,
> CAPTURE frame. V4L-2 however requires request_buffers(),
> query_buffers(), stream_on(), queuebuffer(), dequeuebuffer() and
> stream_off(). This semantic cannot be mapped adequately.
> So if you resize the window, you'll get "setting format not allowed
> during streaming capture" error messages.

Why? it did work for v4l1... will that not make the resizing very slow?

> I've send to you a small V4L-2 capture application in private, that
> shows the use of the V4L-2 capture subsystem. IMHO it would be best, if
> you write a separate V4L-2 capture core for "kvdr".

Well, currently i'am not sure which is core and which is capture - anything
is so strongly interwoven to make the little wonders possible at all ;-)

I would really like to see if v4l2 is worth the effort, for now i do not even
get the bttv-v4l2 module loaded (unresolved externals) not to mention that
porting kvdr to the dvb-kernel would make it impossible to use for me at all
- for now i can at least use kvdr+vdr1.2.1+dvb_0.94 and it works.

Unless things have stabilized (v4l2 _and_ the signalless-operation-problem)
i can't do further development.