[linux-dvb] Re: full featured card without signal and requited video memory investigation

On Thursday 10 July 2003 6:33 pm, Gregor Lawatscheck wrote:
> I'm putting this back on the list as it's interesting:

Sorry, kmail seems to be playing up with lists.

> On Wednesday 09 July 2003 2:52 pm, Gregor Lawatscheck wrote:
> [snip]
>
>  >> You could still "misuse" a full featured sat or cable card, as is a
>  >> patch to the current vdr to use it with the 0.9.4 drivers which don't
>  >> mind a missing sat signal:
>
> Andy replied:
>  >Mm... maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but I'm using vdr
>  > 1.2.0pre1 with drivers from around 12.4.03. I have no sat signal or
>  > cable to my DVB-s and the Nova-t is working fine through it.
>
> At 17:35 10/07/2003, I replied:
> > > Interesting - frist time I hear this. Do you use vdr? Don't you have
> > > problems with the BBC channels - i.e. black screens as pre1 has a 210k
> > > video buffer?
> >
> >It's all working fine here with vdr and is on all the time I'm at home -
> >up to
> >7 days at a stretch I guess sometimes.
>
> That's good news!

I find it quite handy ;)

> >No problems with BBC except when atmospheric pressure is very high and I
> > get video and audio break up, but that could be antenna alignment as much
> > as anything else - however the driver is patched with the statmux_fix
> > patch - yours IIRC.
>
> ahhh I see, cool. statmux_fix for the driver (adapted by Oliver Endriss) or
> in vdr. It shouldn't make a difference, just wondering. Just for the
> record: What we did was setting higher (fixed) bandwidth in the stream
> headers of around 15 mbit despite the real bandwidth. The BBC channels that
> previously didn't decode then worked fine with a 210k video memory.
>
> It looks like the statmux fix(es) correct the 210k issue video memory stuff
> just fine - wow that's good news. It still crashed here after a couple of
> hours andI blamed it on our statmux fix. As it seems now it was the missing
> sat signal here, not the patch...  Thanks to Klaus we're up to 230k video
> memory as of pre3, , which solved the problem without a patch. Nevertheless
> this something to keep in mind for the future if there's deperate need for
> free memory in the firmware.
>
> Either your revision of the card makes a difference or you're in the lucky
> position that somehow vdr or the driver just never touches the tuning part
> of the dvb-s.
>
> What revision is you full dvb-s card? I've got a 1.3 here. Which version of
> vdr are you using? How's your EPG setup for vdr - standard or altered so it
> doesn't scan at night?

I think the DVB-s is a 2.1 - no J2 connector and the Nova-t is 2.1 also. vdr
is vdr-1.2.0pre1, EPG is standard AFAIK - can't see an option for night
disable here.

> I've recently moved back to Berlin and my vdr box is currently disassembled
> so I can't test with pre1 myself at the moment. If you feel like testing,
> it'd be interesting to see what happens if you use pre3. I remember without
> a sat signal the driver would suck up to 40% CPU when it tunes to it. I'm
> guessing the EPG or something tries to tune to the SAT at night and then
> you end up with a high load.

I've avoided playing too much recently as I've just got Suse 8.2 set up and
running to my liking, but I'm certainly willing to try, what first? My driver
version is a bit old now, but I'll probably lose BBC again if I update, or
will the patch still work? Latest vdr shouldn't be a problem on my current
driver AFAICS. I'll see what I can do at the weekend and post back to the
list. CPU is 19% ATM (850MHz Athlon).

Andy