[linux-dvb] Re: full featured card without signal and required video memory investigation

At 06:24 11/07/2003, you wrote:
On Friday 11 July 2003 01:21, Gregor Lawatscheck wrote:
> At 22:20 10/07/2003, you wrote:
> > > Either your revision of the card makes a difference or you're in
> > > the lucky position that somehow vdr or the driver just never
> > > touches the tuning part of the dvb-s.

Add a printk to SetPIDs() (av7110.c) and verify that the pids are set to
zero when there is no signal. av7110_before_after_tune() calls
SetPIDs(0,0,0,0,0) if the frontend looses signal.
AFAIK this code was added to avoid arm crashes...
OK, thanks I'll  check that once I have the box up running again.

> > > What revision is you full dvb-s card? I've got a 1.3 here. Which
> > > version of vdr are you using? How's your EPG setup for vdr -
> > > standard or altered so it doesn't scan at night?
> >
> >I think the DVB-s is a 2.1 - no J2 connector
>
> Most interesting. I'm getting a 1.6 from ebay with broken tuner soon.
> Let's see whether there's any difference there. It it even feasible
> to assume it could be the revision of the card that makes a
> difference here?

The 1.3. has a different frontend chip.
I tested my Rev. 2.1 Nexus (stv0299-based) without sat signal: It did
not crash within several hours. How long does it take in your setup
until the arm crashes?
It takes around 4-6 hours. Before that the load goes to around 40-50% if tuned to a sat channel without having signal. It only recovers on reloading the drivers. The tuner of my 1.3 says BSRV2-301A.

So it looks like it could be the revision and together with Andy Carter there are now two people who don't appear have this problem with a Rev 2.1. Good news for everyone thinking about using a full featured card without a signal for decoding. The only thing a Rev 2.1 is lacking is RGB output, right? I suppose a lot of people don't intend to use it anyway?