[linux-dvb] Re: multicast network/IPover DVB again

Steffen Barszus wrote:

> When I start it and then execute an ifconfig dvb0_0 promisc or ifconfig dvb0_0
> allmulti, iptraf shows me bitrates of 2300 kbit/s up to 2800 kbit/s . For
> real use I switched back to normal (ifconfig dvb0_0 -promisc, -allmulti),
> starting the tellique proxy, dial in to filiago. A look at the log shows me
> that it has found the remote proxy, starting up the browser andf search a big
> file (or more then one) and try to download them. iptraf shows me then
> ingoing rates of 21kbit/s - 70 kbit/s. Thats not near any speed I would have
> thought I get. Are here others who have tried it ? Is something wrong with my
> setup ?

Since the Filiago-Proxy is proprietary (binary-only), I don't know what
it does. I guess it joins one or more multicast-groups. It's possible
that the code which sets the DVB filters according to the multicast
addresses has bugs.

> As far as I have understood the MAC adress is not relevant for this setup, or
> is this false ? Where can I find the MAC on my siemens DVB-s rev 1.3, haven't
> found anything written on the card.

According to the Filiago FAQ the MAC is irrelevant because Filiago
uses multicast only.

The current DVB drivers from CVS try to get the MAC from the eeprom
on the card and use it as default. I don't know if the code which
reads the epprom is correct. If there is no label with the MAC on
the card, the only way to find it out is to boot Windows and install
the Windows drivers. The MAC should then be visible somewhere...

Johannes