[linux-dvb] Re: 2.6-test1 kernels and CVS driver, kernel preemption

Hello Brian,

I really want this patch in the kernel. I can help you with whatever you need, but my skill level is just a little about 'tester'. I can recompile kernels and give you the results.
The problem is that there is a conceptual problem in getting this driver in. It needs a hackish patch for the bttv driver, so that it exports the i2c routines for our usage.

Of course Gerd Knorr (bttv and video4linux maintainer) is refusing the patch because it stinks. 8-)

So someone with a Nebula card and kernel programming knowledge needs to fix this the right way.

I cannot get into CVS yet. I don't really understand it. I want to use the command line tools because it is a pain to download every file from the web CVS. I've downloaded the manual on CVS and I'll be reading it tonight, I cannot focus on this too much at work.
http://linuxtv.org/cvs/

No problem, we're all working on this mostly in our spare time.

Tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it for you, just be specific. I don't know how to turn preemptible on and off in the kernel.
These were two different things: kernel preemption can only be enabled with 2.5 or 2.6 kernels and some people have reported problems with the av7110 driver.

The Nebula driver is not in 2.5 or 2.6 yet, it's only available for 2.4 in the "build-2.4" directory. You need to patch your running 2.4 kernel with the patches from drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/patches, however, recompile and install the bttv drivers AFAIK.

Tell me which drivers to compile for the nebula card, it has a nxt6000 demodulator, Alps tuner and Conexant fusion 878A PCI bridge. What type of applications will I need to run and test it.
I don't have such a card myself, so somebody else should help you out here.

I know C/C++ and might like to tinker a little with the code. I don't think I have the skill level to write a good driver yet, but just a little while ago, I couldn't compile kernels. So everyone has to start somewhere.
Thanks for participating in this project. I know that it's hard sometimes to understand how these things work together.

Try to use the search function of the mailing list, google the web or simply ask on the mailing list again.

It's important that all users help each other, because sometimes there is a lack of documentation.

-Brian
CU
Michael.