[linux-dvb] Re: multicast network/IPover DVB again

Michael Glaum writes:

 > Johannes Stezenbach writes:
 > > The current DVB drivers from CVS try to get the MAC from the eeprom
 > > on the card and use it as default. I don't know if the code which
 > > reads the epprom is correct.
 >
 > Ralph Metzler writes:
 > > Only for TT based cards and only if their MAC starts with 00:d0:5c.
 > > But all (also those resold by Hauppauge, Satelco, etc.) seem to use it?
 > > One can also check the MAC signature TT uses to be sure.
 > > For KNC cards the code is wrong.
 >    Did you happen to turn on debugging to see what the encoded MAC was
 >    in the serial EEPROM, versus the MAC KNC assigned? Unfortunately I
 >    don't have one of these cards.

No, sorry, I did not actually try the ttpci_eeprom code. I only
had a quick look at it and since it seems to come straight from
the Linux DVB driver 3 years ago which still included it
it does not contain the complete decoding routine and also not
the signature check.

For KNC cards the MAC is at a different place and not encoded. So,
you probably read all 0xff and "decode" that to some other number.
Since I have only prototype cards I don't know the
real MAC but it is the only place in EEPROM (besides the PCI config
bytes) which contains something useful and it checks out with
the MAC address space assigned to them by the IEEE.

Ralph