[linux-dvb] Re: Looking for a Linux 'DV*B*shrink'

I normally use transcode to do this job.  It's neither fast nor elegant
and is a bit fiddly - but it works perfectly.  You'll need to split your
MPEG file into separate video and audio streams.

Work out what bitrate will allow you to fit your recording onto a DVD
and put that in a file (dvd.prof) like this:

max_bitrate=4700000.0

Then transcode the video with a command like this:
transcode -i input.m2v -y mpeg,null -o output -V -F d,,dvd.prof

Hopefully there are more elegant solutions around - this works but has
the drawback that my AthlonXP 2500 only manages about 6fps.

Laurence