[linux-dvb] Linux DVB API V4

Hi all,

I've spent some time reading through the discussion of the
proposed Linux DVB API Version 4 we had in March. I've also
received a few mails on the topic recently.

As a result I've updated the draft API header files, which
can be found in LinuxTV CVS, module "dvb-kernel-v4". There
are still some open issues (just grep for "FIXME"), e.g.:

- there are some stylistic alternatives for some of the demux
  API ioctls; if you have any strong preference on one or the
  other (or even have a different and better one), let me know

- there's no concept yet for zero-copy section/PES/TS filter
  operation (e.g. mmap() of DMA buffers); I don't feel it's
  terribly important, except maybe for stream recording

- the audio decoder API has significant shortcomings regarding
  postprocessing, AC3 downmixing etc.  It is unclear whether we
  want support this in the DVB API, or leave it to exisiting
  APIs like OSS or ALSA, or proprietary stuff. Please post
  your suggestions!

Generally, I tried to concentrate on the core functionality,
and consequently removed the DVD stuff from video.h and audio.h.
I made some tentative cosmetic changes to the frontend API, but I
have no strong feelings about that. Basically I don't want to
touch frontend stuff ;-)

There is no documentation yet, just the comments in the header
files. Please ask if you have questions.

For readers who are unaware of the goals of the V4 API:
The current (V3) API has some annoying limitations regarding
handling of modern DVB set-top-box hardware, which has capabilities
like multiple transport stream inputs, simultaneous demuxing of
multiple input streams, special recording and playback support,
multiple MPEG decoders, MPEG-2 PS/DVD support etc.

Best regards,
Johannes

PS: I will be in analog modem land for a week from thursday on,
so please be patient if I don't reply immediately.