[linux-dvb] Re: Restrictions on dvb ir hardware regarding device addresses ?

On Friday 19 September 2003 22:24, Onno wrote:
> Hi dvb list,
> are there restrictions which prevent av7110_loadkeys from loading
> ir codes for more than one device, thus supporting all keys cheap
> universal ir's by loading keys for 2 devices ?

The current driver supports a single keymap only.

> the reason asking is a patch from Wolfgang Fritz on the vdr ml :
>
> which (ab-)uses 2 of the device address bits as data bits, allowing
> easy use of universal ir controllers with all keys (~40).

IMHO this patch is not the right way to handle the problem.
That remote control uses two device addresses. Basically it's like
using two different remote control units at the same time.

There is a 3:1 chance that the patch will break existing systems,
because lower address bits != 0 must be included in the keymap...

The driver should be modified to support different keymaps for
different device addresses. This is on my 'todo' list but I am very
busy and there are more important things to be done. ;-)

Oliver