[linux-dvb] A success story in AU

Don't know if this is of any interest to anyone, but here's a little success
story.

I migrated to Australia from the UK almost a year ago. One of the things that
I brought with me was my Hauppage Nova-T budget DVB-T card that worked
happily in the UK under Linux with the old siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-04-01
drivers.

The machine it was in died, and I've only just got around to playing with it
again. With the reception information available from the Digital Broadcasting
Australia at:

	http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=22

and hints from both Dave Chapmans website at:

	http://www.linuxstb.org/dvb-t/index.shtml

and Matt McLeod's article on Building a Linux DVD-PVR (in Melbourne) at:

	http://boggle.org/writing/dvb-pvr.shtml

I've been able to get it tuned.

The settings I'm using (taken from my dvbtune's dvb_defaults.h) are:

#ifdef AUSTRALIA
#define        DVB_T_LOCATION                  "Australia"
#define BANDWIDTH_DEFAULT              BANDWIDTH_7_MHZ
#define HP_CODERATE_DEFAULT            FEC_2_3
#define CONSTELLATION_DEFAULT          QAM_64
#define TRANSMISSION_MODE_DEFAULT      TRANSMISSION_MODE_8K
#define GUARD_INTERVAL_DEFAULT         GUARD_INTERVAL_1_16
#define HIERARCHY_DEFAULT              HIERARCHY_NONE
#endif

Trying to use dvbstream to get the signal was a little harder, I was only
getting the first 5 seconds of signal and was about to mark that down to a UK
card not working in AU when I found this posting from Holger Waechtler to the
linux-dvb list:

The extremely dubious method of commenting out all calls to
close(fd_frontend); in dvbstream.c fixed the problem and now it works well on
the only digital channel here, ABC.

I sent all this to Dave Chapman so he could update his section on Australia,
but not got any reply, so don't know if he's still looking after those pages
(they've not been updated since 26th January 2002).

cheers!
Chris
- --
 Chris Samuel  :  http://csamuel.org/  :  Melbourne, VIC