[linux-dvb] Re: TT budget DVB-C 1.0 tuning issues

--On 23. September 2003 13:43 +0200 Robert Schlabbach <robert_s@gmx.net> wrote:

Hello and thanks for the tip,

146MHz, symbol rate 6900 and QAM128 and 154/6900/128 do not tune at all;
The common denominator for the two frequencies that don't tune are that
they are the lowest in my network. 162MHz and all above it tune well

As to your card, this sound like it might be a band switching problem. I'm
not sure if the frontend driver has been programmed according to the ALPS
TDBE2 specs - at least I have _not_ been able to find them anywhere, so
maybe the current code is just "guesswork".
Yes, that would indeed seem to be the case, judging by this email:

So look at the function tuner_set_tv_freq() in VES1820.C, the ALPS TDBE2
is tuner_type == 1 and buf[3] is the band selection. I'd suggest
[snip]
Now for 0x??, try all possible combinations of the lower nibble, i.e. 0x80
through 0x8F. You could also try different charge pump settings, i.e.
0x0?, 0x4?, 0xC?.
I did just this, and wrote a small piece go through different combinations for the buf[3] settings. Alas, none of them worked :(.

Would playing with the other values in the buf-variable be of any use?

If all of this doesn't work, the next thing would be to try and hunt down
the ALPS TDBE2 data sheet, maybe it has some information on proper band
selection...
Do you think this data sheet will tell us something which cannot be found in the datasheet mentioned in the above email (i.e. http://assets.zarlink.com/DS/zarlink_SP5659_MAY_02.pdf), e.g. related to the other buf values?

Also, importantly, I tested the card on Windows, and the same problem appeared also there -- which may suggest it might be a hardware limitation (or simply the driver is not up to it there either -- as low frequencies seem to be rare in the main market areas)?

Does anyone else have experiences with these DVB-C budget cards on low frequencies?

--
Esa Loukkola
esa@nic.fi