[linux-dvb] Re: Does patching the kernel work meanwhile?

Hello Rene,

as I don't want to compile the DVB-driver every time I change the kernel, I just want to patch the kernel-sources. About half a year ago the patch-scripts were broken. Did this change meanwhile?

Can I patch a kernel from kernel.org with the DVB-driver or -kernel?
Patching 2.6 with DVB was never possible. Patching 2.6 with "dvb-kernel" should work, although I fear it's currently broken.

The main reason is that some stuff made it into the kernel, some stuff (for example the bt8x8 driver) didn't. Some stuff was changed in the kernel and has not been backported to the CVS. It's hard to keep both trees in sync -- I focussed on getting most of the CVS into 2.6, wihtout bothering with the KConfig and Makfile stuff or backporting thigs.

If you don't need bleeding edge technology, 2.6.0-test6 is fairly up-to-date with CVS.

But as usual: any help is appreciated. 8-)

A short how-to:
- unpack latest 2.6-testX kernel
- duplicate it to another directory
- apply the patch to one kernel
- diff both kernels
- see what's different:
- if it's in 2.6-testX and not in CVS: backport it if it's useful
- if it's in CVS and not in 2.6-testX: see if it's needed
- don't include any "#ifdef LINUX_VERSION" stuff
- [...]

Thanx
Rene
CU