[linux-dvb] Re: Linux DVB API 4 Q's

Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com wrote:

> .... I need to be able to setup many filters on an fd and then hit the "go
> button" to make them active.  Like I said before, it would be nice then to
> stop or close filters that you don't need on the fly and add some new ones
> altogether and start them all at once on the same fd.
>
> e.g. Currently recording BBC1, then without interruption we want to record
> BBC2 as well on the same fd (i.e. the same TS going to the hdd through
> whatever h/w that may be between the demux and hdd.  We would need the
> ability to add extra PID filters to the existing fd (e.g. audio, video,
> subtitle) and then hit the go button on this group so as to get sync.
>
> Maybe having a bitmask that we pass as an arg that says which PID filters
> to stop/start would allow this individual/group functionality.  It gets a
> bit messy with trying to link a PID value to a bitmask though.  What about
> passing in a pointer to a linked list or a fixed size array of PID values
> to start/stop?
>
> Ahh, maybe if we implement your DVB_DMX_SET_PID_FILTER with an array of
> PIDs to set and start immediately using the DVB_DMX_IMMEDIATE_START flag,
> we can nicely obtain this requirement.
>
> Do these ideas sound reasonable?

If I were to implement it I would go with your last proposal.

But I am not convinced that your requirement is reasonable. If you
do a few ADD_PID or DEL_PID calls in succession, they would
typically be only microseconds apart (possibly a few milliseconds
if the system load is high). Why is that a problem?

Johannes