[linux-dvb] Re: Linux DVB API 4 Q's

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:27:07PM +0200, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com writes:
>  >
>  > A. If we want to route a TS/PS/PES off a DVD or HDD through a PID filter,
>  > then I guess we would have to setup the source type of the filter to be
>  > "DVB_DMX_SOURCE_FRONTEND" with the correct "frontend_num". The same goes
>  > for an input from an external C/A modules or LVDS, etc.  Is this the
>  > intention?  Does the term "front-end" really make sense?
>

> See the discussion about general input devices. I do not care if they
> are all called input or frontend but they should be treated equally.
> Normally the demuxes can choose one of the inputs of the whole demux
> block as source and you cannot bypass this. So, data should be
> written to a frontend/input device and not to a demux. If you can
> bypass this, then one could always make writing directly into
> the demux device possible just for this hardware.
> Or how do you handle the case if two demuxes are supposed to process
> the same data from memory?

I'm just reading
http://linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/2003/03-2003/msg00116.html

I'm currently inclined to drop enum dvb_dmx_source_type and just
use the frontend file descriptor in DVB_DMX_SET_SOURCE.

For stream playback or external inputs we could add other
input devices. I.e. we would never write data to the demux
device, only to connected "playback" devices.

However, I have no idea how to wrap DVB frontends and other
types of input devices into a "generic input device".
I would be grateful if someone could propose an API for that.
Currently I think it's best to keep the frontend devices
as-is, and just add new non-generic input device types.

Johannes