[linux-dvb] Re: Alternative v4 demux API

> Mpeg decoders usually don't parse Transport Streams (I only know one old
> chipset which has some kind of simple demultiplexer built in for single
> program TS). Therefore they don't know what a PID is. So why should the
> A/V PIDs be given to the mpeg decoder device? The Transport Demux has to

Presumably mpeg decoder driver would be a better description.

> > But video/audio/pcr for example has nothing to do with demuxing, it's
> > mpeg decoding. Section filters are always bound to one PID, so why not
> > one oper per PID?
>
> video, audio and pcr _do_ have something to do with demuxing, see above.

Being naive, I can ask stupid questions :)

Why can't demuxing just be attached wherever you like. Playback, record,
like a push down stack : sys v streams.

> The decoder has nothing to do with filtering but instead is getting the
> filtered data from the demux hardware.

You may want to delay demuxing?

I also imagine mpeg decoder devices becoming far more common on their
own than than combined with tuner type devices. E.g. motherboards
like mini-itx, Atmel AT91RM9200, combined with slower, lower power processors.

Jamie