[linux-dvb] Re: Getting IR-codes directly from DVB-S?

Oliver Endriss wrote:
The current implementation has a number of restrictions:
- Permissions of /proc/av7110_ir cannot be changed without recompiling
  the driver, i.e. chown/chmod do not work.
- Only one keymap can be loaded for all devices.

What about loading keymaps using the ioctl interface of the event
device? This would require a new evdev ioctl which could be passed to
the low-level input device driver (i.e. av7110_ir.c). This way access
control of the evdev driver could be used for the keymap interface, too.
(I don't know whether Vojtech would accept this.)
Can you please prepare a simple patch doing this? I'm sure Vojtech will comment this and include it if it's properly implemented. Maybe you need to explain him the problem of loading RC5/RCMM keycode tables for remote controls again a little more in detail.

Holger

btw: I still believe that it's useful in some environments to load keymaps for all users at boot time -- maybe all keycode configuration ioctl's should override the default keymap which gets used until a per-user map is configured. What do you think?