[linux-dvb] Re: [Solution] Bug report vdr-1.2.5 - error while reading timers.conf

Juergen Sauer wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2003 12:23 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
>
> > > If I add a timer using the vdr menue the vdr destroys
> > > it's own timers.conf file, so that vdr crashes/quits,
>
> > Please keep very clearly apart whether it _crashes_ or
> > _quits_ - there's a fundamental difference here ;-)
>
> Oh yeah, right. But it's a crash, if the software caused the
> inconsistences byitself - like here. ;-< By adding and removing
> timers during normal operation.

IMHO a _crash_ is when the program exits uncontrolled, as
in a segfault or something the like, probably causing a core
dump in the process.

In your case the program ended _controlled_, with an error message.

I just want to keep this clearly apart because a real _crash_
is something that would need to be debugged.

> > Use only channel definitions that adhere to man vdr.5.
> > Maybe the scan utility created some with inconsistent
> > NID/TID parameters.
> Found it. Was NID/TID Problem. Until this is not used and
> usable, vdr should ignore those settings and presume
> healty "0" defaults - even there is a '1' in the channels.conf,
> because users may be bugged by an old" scan" tool  or
> like mine by a eMailed channels.conf. ;-<

If a scan tool creates correct data, (according to vdr.5)
everything is fine. Generating channel data with NID=1 and
TID=0 was a bug in the scan tool.

> Until then, all NID/TIS should be ste to 0 !

As stated in vdr.5 ;-)

Klaus