[linux-dvb] Re: dvb kernel

> > You apply the files in my tarball into the dvb-kernel stuff
> > you check out, until it is checked into CVS. We really are very close
> > to checking in.

Now checked in. You can get the driver if you get dvb-kernel from
CVS.

> * What is the current status of the driver?

Well, it works for me and Brad, under 2.4. Clean compile under 2.6
but not tested. We really wanted to get this up so other people
could have a go.

> * Card identification, how is it done? It looks like the driver attempts
> to claim all UNKNOWN/GENERIC Bt878 devices for itself, is this corrent?
> My card's device ids are 109e:0878(audio function) and 109e:036e (video),
> revision 17, subsystem ID 1822:0001.

Use card=0x68 on the bttv driver. In the dvb-kernel there is a
README.bt8xx which goes into this. Also you'll need i2c_hw=1

Can you send me an lspci -vvv for the two bt878 devices?

> * THDVT20023 I2C protocol packet format. When looking at windows drivers
> (which support both DVB-S and DVB-T) there seems to be 2 slightly different

Hmm. Looking very, very similar.

> versions of the protocol, one using fixed size 8-byte packets and another
> using variable-sized packets. Which one is used depends on the number of
> things such as PCI info, registry settings, results of a particular I2C
> query command, phase of the Moon etc. It's difficult to track it all
> the way up. Do you have any info on that?

Yes. The dst-info.txt file in my web space goes into this.
The fixed size is for the free-to-air, non CI version, the
other for the CI version. The driver probes the device to get a
string back. Grep for "DST-CI" in the dst.c file.

Does your card have a slot where you might plug in some kind of card.
If not, you probably have a FTA version (which makes sense for
Australia).

I would be tempted to grab the driver, now in CVS, and see what
string comes back from the asic during initialisation.

> * Tuner control.
> Do you know if tuner control messages are translated or simply wrapped
> into packets by the THDVT protocol? If they are simply wrapped then
> I might be able to reuse existing nxt6000 frontend driver. OTOH if they
> are translated they may have the same format for both DVB-S and DVB-T.

They are a kind of amalgam. The frequency stuff looks exactly
like for the tuner, but the symbol rate varies between the FTA and
CI. Other bits are here and there. The dst.c is the one you want to
modify.

Make sure you read the dst-info.txt file. This covers this in quite
some detail.

Jamie