[linux-dvb] Re: dvb driver corrupts video memory?

Hello Olaf,

Here's a bug report against the DVB driver, all versions.
This means the official DVB driver, the DVB CVS driver, but not the dvb-kernel driver, right?

XFree86 4.2.99.1
Looks rather old to me, 4.3 is out half a year now. But this shouldn't matter.

It seems like xawtv always uses the "Matrox G-Series Backend Scaler"
device for video output (in overlay mode). This comes with the X
server.
You can enable or disable the "v4l" module in your X config. If loaded, it will present your dvb-card as a "Xv adaptor". The main advantage is that the X server takes control over the window redraw handling, ie. screen refreshing is minimized.

Do you load this module and use it?

A quick way to check if it's in use is to open "xawtv" and point your mouse pointer on the window close button of the main window, so that a popup window is opened. If the popup above the video causes the whole screen to be redrawn, then the "v4l" module is *not* in use.

From your descriptions later on I assume that you're not using it. Xawtv will use the backend scaler of your Matrox for the "grabdisplay" mode only.

It can use either one of the two video devices as input and
all seems to work fine.
Ok.

However, with certain things done to the xawtv window, the video
output suddenly gets distorted.

The distortions look like vertical stripes, 1-10 pixels wide, of the
video window getting reordered. The pattern always changes, sometimes
it changes with channel switches in vdr or more window manipulations
(including getting fixed). The OSD is affected too.
Can you make a screenshot of this and put it onto some webpage?
(If not, please sent the pictures to me in private)

Also with the newer version, in "corrupted mode" some X applications
misbehave, e.g. Mozilla shows black bars instead of characters. This
may be the problem described in the mplayer docs where an application
directly writing into video memory corrupts the X server's pixmap cache.
Hm, from your descriptions I assume that you're using the plain overlay mode without the "v4l" X module loaded.

Since the problem only occurs with DVB (not with only the bttv driver,
but it persists after unloading the DVB driver, indicating that indeed
some memory gets corrupted), and somewhat depends on the DVB driver
version, I assume the bug is in the DVB driver.
This really might be. Unfortunately, the bug is in the saa7146 video driver parts. As I already have mentioned in other mails, these parts come from a forked version version of my saa7146 driver and I don't maintain these parts anymore (although that I admit that this is a serious bug).

So I'd like you to try the "dvb-kernel" CVS driver. You can easily check out, compile and use it without installing it (so you don't corrupt your working installation). It features the new saa7146 Video4Linux-2 core that I have developped the last years (and which is shared between a couple of dvb and non-dvb drivers).

Instructions are in "build-2.4/README" in the "dvb-kernel" CVS repository.

This is the version that's currently in the 2.6 kernel series. If you can reproduce the bug there, I'll give you any help I can to track this bug down and I'll fix it.

Olaf
CU
Michael.