[linux-dvb] Re: mods to bt878.c

Hi Mark,

Mark Edwards wrote:
Holger et al...
as per my recent post I have encountered a problem with coexistence of bt878.o and btaudio.o
both modules happily go grabbing all bt878 audio channels on all bt878 cards they can find as soon as they load up. This basically means that a bt878 analogue card and bt878 DVB card can't coexist.
I'd like to propose a general fix for this which would have to include the assumption that people will - for some bizarre reason known only to themselves - want to use an analogue and a digital card in the same server.
The fix is to update the pci_device_id structure in bt878.c based on the premise that there are far fewer bt878 DVB cards around than there are analogue tv cards. This would of course mean generating a registry of bt878 DVB card PCI ID's. Fortunately the Avermedia guys were kind enough to use the subvendor and subdevice ID's which is how I am picking up the card in my patched bt878. I am not sure what the situation is for other bt878 based DVB cards. Any idea?
FYI the Avermedia DVB-T is
.subvendor=0x1461
.subdevice=0x0761
It works a treat if you patch bt878 with the id's above (replacing PCI_ANY_ID), then load the bt878.o module _before_ btaudio.o
If you're Ok with this approach, I'll put out a call for anyone with a BT878 based DVB card to send me their lspci -vn output and I'll capture them for future reference if you like.
I added Gerd Knorr and Jamie to the CC: list, both are currently working on merging the analog and digital bttv driver, this problem is probably a pretty related issue. I suppose both btaudio.o and the bt8xx-dvb driver should only attach to the cards they can handle for sure, this should be dependent on both subvendor and device id.

Holger